Yes, there may be cysts in your drinking water
In the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, one of the definitions of a cyst is “a resistant cover about a parasite produced by the parasite or the host.” In other words, cysts have a strong membrane outer wall that protects the cells inside. The cyst is a vehicle; the source of concern are the cells within it. In waterborne cysts (also called microbial cyst), these cells often carry harmful protozoan parasites that can make people sick.
The most common types of parasites found in waterborne cysts are Giardia and Cryptosporidium. These parasites can be introduced into a water supply—such as a lake, river, or stream, through the waste of an infected animal or person. The parasites are not known to cause long-term health problems. However, ingesting them will cause human intestinal issues, including abdominal cramps and diarrhea.
Parasites and the water supply
In the final decades of last century, Giardia was the “most commonly identified pathogen in waterborne outbreaks reported in the United States.” In the years since, public water officials have fought parasites through stringent treatment methods.
As an example, in 1992, the managers of the New York City water supply began a comprehensive program to monitor for the presence of Giardia and Cryptosporidium. As of 2017, the NYC Department of Environmental Protection found the parasite levels to be so low that no action was required to address them.
As an extra layer of protection against harmful parasites in drinking water, families can use the Coway Aquamega 100 water purifier at home. The system has been tested and certified by the Water Quality Association to reduce waterborne cysts by 99.99%.
The Coway Aquamega 100 also reduces many other contaminants including chlorine, mercury, and lead, among others. With the Coway Aquamega 100, everyone in your home can enjoy fresh, clean water, straight from the kitchen faucet, in unlimited supply and at any time.