How Can I Help My Dog Breathe Easier? Cleaner Air for a Happy Pup
Clean air and healthy living doesn’t just affect us humans in a profoundly positive way—it’s important for the mental and physical health of our canine companions as well. Our beloved dogs serve as our emotional support systems, playmates, sleeping buddies, therapists, travel companions and best friends. But have you ever wondered: How can I help my dog breathe easier?
It makes sense to ensure our dogs live a healthy and clean lifestyle free of harmful pollutants so they can keep on making us smile day after day, bark after bark, scratchy after scratchy for years to come. But what does it mean to provide a healthy environment for a pet?
Sure, purchasing that organic, daily-prepped food at the chef-driven dog market improves their diet, but we rarely think about what our dogs are breathing. Just like us, dogs can suffer from allergens and pollutants that harm their lungs, leading to respiratory illness and overall poor health.
With clean air, a healthy diet, and plenty of exercise, you can give your dog the life you promised them—one of pure luxury and joyful companionship.
Symptoms of Respiratory Illness in Dogs
Before we dive into all the ways you can improve your dog’s health, it’s helpful to know and understand the symptoms that come with respiratory illness. These symptoms can include:
- Nasal discharge
- Labored breathing
- Loss of appetite
- Bluish discoloration of tongue and gums (Cyanosis)
- Reverse sneezing
- Chest expansion
If you notice any of the above problems, contact your veterinarian so they can address health issues before they become bigger problems.
Now, let’s discuss the benefits of clean air and healthy living for both you and your dog!
Why is Clean Air Important for Dogs?
As mentioned before, dogs just like humans, are susceptible to all the adverse effects of air pollution. We know from extensive research that clean air can minimize several health conditions—so why not give our dogs the same benefits? But what can an air purifier do for your dog?
- Reduce allergies by filtering airborne particles like dust, mold spores, and even their own pet dander
- Eliminate odors for a more pleasant dog-friendly environment
- Provide respiratory support for breeds that are more susceptible to respiratory issues by keeping the air free of irritants
- Prevent airborne infections by reducing or eliminating viruses and bacteria
- Reduce excessive shedding through improved air quality that may have a positive impact on a dog’s skin and coat health.
- Generate peace of mind for owners knowing their dog is breathing in crystal clean air
If you’re looking for a happy pooch, clean air is key.
How Can You Improve the Overall Health of Your Dog?
Love is the answer! Create a loving environment in which your doggo enjoys proper nutrition, regular exercise, preventative checkups, and a cozy environment where they know they are loved and you’ll be giving your furry friend all they need to wake up with a big grin each morning.
Here are a few quick tips:
- Select healthier foods that are age appropriate and tailored to their breed and health condition
- Provide fresh water at all times for proper hydration
- Engage in daily exercise with walks and toys to maintain a healthy weight and promote socialization
- Schedule regular checkups with your vet to catch health issues before they happen
- Groom and brush their teeth—dogs can feel it when they look good.
- Practice kindness. By providing an environment that promotes positivity in the human world, you generate positivity in the dog world, too.
Promote Better Breathing and a Safe Lifestyle for Your Canine
This goes both ways—when you invest in the air quality and mental/physical health of your dog, you’re doing it for yourself as well. And that means regular dusting, avoiding smoking near your dog, ensuring you have proper ventilation, playing, keeping them out of hazardous weather, and using earth and pet-friendly products that won’t harm their lungs, eyes, paws, or skin.
Now, you get to enjoy the benefits of a healthy lifestyle + clean air while keeping your pet healthy and happy.
When it comes to our dogs, there’s little we won’t do to make sure they’re loved, cuddled, scratched, and adored day in and day out. By creating a healthful living environment for them to thrive in, you’re not only enhancing their health and energy levels, you’re also taking an important step in enhancing your own mental and physical well-being.